Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Almost Home

Whew! What a month! I am trying to catch my breath. Okay, on to the news. Mom was released from the hospital Sunday. She completed her radiation on Friday. They removed the last of her IV drip on Saturday afternoon. They were able to manage her pain through oral meds so they released her. Just as we were about to leave, I thought about possible issues getting her prescriptions filled. It was Sunday, and some pharmacies do not have particular medications in stock. I won't go into detail, but it was very stressful. Ron got on the phone and was able to find the medicine. The doctors say that the radiation should continue to work within her body for the next couple of weeks. Mom did not want to go home right away for two reasons: 1) she was concerned that the severe pain would return and she would have to return to the hospital. The possibility of going home and having to make the trip back concerned her. Traveling is hard on Mom so she tries to limit travel, particularly if she cannot rest directly afterwards. 2) she has a doctor's appointment on Thursday morning. Mom wanted to stay put until after her doctor's appointment. The prospect of traveling home, then returning on Wednesday afternoon and then going back home on Thursday was too much for her. When Mom was released, she and I went to the camper. The Gorums have been gracious enough to bring their camper to Mobile. Providence Hospital has a space for a few campers. They have electricity, water, and sewer. The camper has a slide-out so it is plenty of room for Mom to get around on her walker.

Mom was very emotional Monday. She is tired. We all are tired of this circumstance we find ourselves in. Mom is tired of not feeling well. She is very weak. She sleeps alot. I am sure the pain medicine makes her drowsy. Mom did well physically until Monday night. She was in alot of pain and was in tears. I thought, "Oh no. We are going to have to go straight back to the hospital." Mom did not want to go back. I gave her all the medicine I could give her at the time and prayed really really hard. Within an hour, Mom got some relief. God is good! I cannot begin to put into words how God has provided these past few days.

So Mom is out of the hospital, but not home yet. She should be home Thursday. Please continue to pray for Mom, the doctors, and the caregivers. Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. Thanks for taking time out of your day to call, stop by or to send a card or a dish. We are hanging in there, but it is so tough. It is truly one of those things that you cannot possibly express what it is like to go through. One cannot possibly understand until you have been there. I know many of you have been there and know exactly what we are going through. A cancer survivor gave us some advice shortly after Mom's diagnosis. She said to take it one day at a time. Truer words have never been spoken. One day at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Kelly,

    Well, as I read your post, I know without a doubt that this has been quite a month dealing with so much....especially for Shirley, you and Ron as well as the rest of the family. I am thankful that she is able to stay near Providence and being near the hospital and doctors gives her a secure feeling knowing that the doctors are near if she should need them. Such a blessing that Doris and family have a camper that can be used right now. That much travel would be so hard for her.

    I continue to pray for Shirley every day and of course, you and Ron also. This has been such a hard time for her and for all of you and I know there are just no words to express your feelings right now.

    I know several people who have gone thru really hard and long bouts with cancer and they finally responded to the right treatment and are doing well now. We must continue our prayers for God's intervention and His help to the doctors in making the right decisions for Shirley's treatment. I pray that the doctors can find a combination chemo drug that the cancer in her body will respond to and will fight this cancer.

    May God give Shirley His strength for each day and also for all of you as her caretakers. I continue to believe in miracles.......and, I will continue praying and Keep Believing in God's Healing Power. And, I pray that He will work thru the doctors in mighty way!!! May Shirley feel the Peace within that only comes from Him.

    May God be with you all in a special way during this time.....
    Please give Shirley my love and hugs. Please share with her that I pray for her every day and she is always in my thoughts.

    with much love and prayers,
    betty

    ReplyDelete