Monday, August 16, 2010

What to say?

I don't even know where to begin this post. I guess I will start with what all has been happening the past couple of weeks. On the Thursday we received the bad news from the recent PET scan the doctors basically told Mom that the cancer had spread significantly and that she could pursue chemo but the doctor did not recommend she do that. When Mom asked the doctor how long she had left to live, the doctor gave her 3-6 months. I felt like it would be closer to 3 months. Mom is not doing well. Mom has trouble completing a thought. Most times she doesn't even make sense. I thought at first that it was the pain medicine, but over the past week our family no longer thinks that is the case. I do not know if the cancer has spread to the brain. The PET scan is not a scan that detects cancer in the brain. (MRIs are the test that would be used.) If it has not spread to the brain, the disease definitely is affecting it. Her mental decline has happened so fast.

Mom went to the lake the Saturday after receiving the news. She remained there until Wednesday. She says being at the lake is peaceful. I would rather she be at home right now, but it is not about what I want. It is about what this amazing lady wants. Sadly, I don't know how much longer she will be able to make the trip. Mom can barely move. Thursday, she and Ron returned to the doctor. She spoke with her radiologist and then with her oncologist. Again, the doctor advised her against chemo. I don't know what brought about the change in prognosis as far as time, but the doctor told her that she was likely looking at 4-8 weeks. So, at this point, there hasn't been an official decision, but further chemo does appear to be out of the question. It wouldn't change her overall prognosis. I knew that things could change quickly, and it has, but you still aren't prepared for it when it does. She returned to the lake on Friday, and returned home this afternoon. Mom was determined to go on a boat ride. We were able to manage it, and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Her birthday is Wednesday. After that, I have no idea what she will want to do or feel like doing. I just pray that she does not suffer pain. Watching her now is hard enough, I cannot bear to watch her suffer any more.

Mom would like to thank anyone who has said a prayer on her behalf. Even in this nightmare, we praise God. He has been with us through everything and has provided and met our needs. He doesn't always give us what we want, but He knows and gives us what we really need. God didn't give Mom cancer. He wouldn't do that, but He does have the power to cure her. When discussing this subject with someone (and you know who you are), that person said, "Yes, He has the power to cure, but He will only do so if it is for His purpose." So, a cure is not to be, but we will not hold that against Him. This is our temporary home; it's not where we belong. I just know that the place that she is going is beautiful and beyond our wildest imagination. Thanks everyone for everything. Mom has felt your love these past 7 months. It has sustained her through it all. May God bless you and your families.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly ... I have known your family all of my life. I think the world of both of your parents. My grandmother Mrs. Hayes kept you at daycare many years ago. God does have the power to heal I went trhough an ordeal myself last year. I dont know that I wouldnt try chemo.. I know she is tired. God bless her. Tell her I love her and an thinking of her.

    Bobbye Jean Riley-Whisenhant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly,
    My words do not come easily at this moment for Shirley and all of her family and friends, but I know without a doubt that God is always with us. I have prayed for God's healing power to free Shirley of this cancer but that has not been a part of His plan for her life. And, only He knows that plan and purpose. But, His strength is always with us for He knows our every need. He gives us a peace within and He is the great comforter to our hearts. I pray that He will comfort and free her body from the pain that she has endured. And, I pray that right now God is holding Shirley very near giving her a peace and comfort within.

    Yes, we do know that He has prepared a wonderful place for us......God's Word gives us that promise. Psalm 23 gives us comfort that He is always with us. He gives His comfort for the way...... and when we walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, He is there with us giving comfort that we will fear no evil.....and then we will go to that special place that He has prepared for us. Jesus paid the price for us to have Eternal Life and we will be with Him for Eternity. You are right, Kelly...."the place that she is going is beautiful and beyond our wildest imagination".

    Shirley has been so determined and such an example for all of us thru all that she has endured. She has been such a lady of strength facing these giants of life. Her life says all that needs to be said.....I can not add anything more to the life that she has shown to each of us. Yes, God does have a purpose for each of us and Shirley has certainly shown each of us what Faith, Courage and Determination are all about. She is living with a grace thru this "Journey" that few of us will ever know.
    My prayers continue..........
    May God be with Shirley and all of you in a special way.
    with my love and prayers,
    betty

    ReplyDelete