Monday, August 30, 2010

Not Doing Well

Mom had a wonderful birthday. I can't even begin to try to describe it. I won't go into detail, but it was magical. I think it touched the heart of everyone in the house that day. Mom's mental clarity was good the week of her birthday. We lowered her dose of pain meds. The pain was kept at bay, and her mind greatly improved. One of her best friends came and spent a few days with her. We all went to the lake the weekend of the 20th. Mom got to go on another boatride, and we all really had a wonderful time.

Sadly, a few days after Mom returned, her mental clarity took a turn backwards. Mom was determined to go to the lake this past weekend. We went, but there was no boatride this time. Mom is not doing well. Her quality of life has really declined the past 4 days. She can barely function. She sleeps most all day and night. She isn't eating. She can barely move. I think we may have reached a point where she will spend nearly all her time in bed. We are trying to decide whether to call in home health or hospice. Although she and the family appreciate the sentiment, Mom is not up for visitors. It breaks our hearts to see her struggling. I pray that she doesn't have to suffer any longer.

2 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry. Shirley is a wonderful person and a true friend, and I love her very much. My thoughts and prayers are with her, you and your family.

    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly you know I am here for any of you if need anything. I posted this link on my facebook page as well as another prayer request hopefully to help keep people aware of the situation and to also give you all your much needed time with your mom. I love you much as well as your mom and your family.

    ReplyDelete